Thursday 8 March 2012

Canter banter

Last week we went on our second week of work experience. I spent my week working in Clonfert Maynooth Equestrian Centre. I wasn't nervous at all on the first morning 'cause i go there everyday anyway because i keep my own horse there.
I did different tasks like mucking out the stables, catching horses, putting them out in the Field, putting them on and off the walker and grooming the horses.
On the first morning Michelle(my supervisor) introduced me to a young pony called Aero, i was to work with him throughout my week. He was only a four year old who was broken last summer put then was left out in the field for the winter, which had caused him to become unused to people. My job was to get him used to interacting with people and to become more sociable again. When i went into his stable on the first morning he was very nervous and wouldn't come over to me. I petted him and fed him treats to show that i was not a threat and that i was there to be his friend. When he become more used to me i took him out of his stable, tied him up and groomed him. I could slowly see him accepting me being in his space but he was still nervous.
As the days went on he became alot friendlier towards me so i decided to bring him on a walk around the yard to get him used to the sights and sounds that he will see on a daily basis once he has entered his job of a riding school pony. As i walked him around the yard his ears were perked forward and he was very interested in everything that was going on, but was very frisky. He jumped at the slightest sound and even reared up once or twice when he saw people driving past the gate of the yard. I brought him for a walk everyday from then on and i was delighted to see his progress throughout the week, as he became familiar with the surroundings. At the end of the week i thought i had formed a bond with the little pony and was very pleased with his progress.
I was sad to finish on the Friday but i really enjoyed my week :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun Aoibheann! What colour was Aero? What treats did you give him/her? Love your blogs by the way!
    Mwuah :*
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Kate!
    Aero was a piebald(thats brown and white for you ;) ) i fed him horse treats and carrots. Did you feed the horses on your work experience treats?
    mwah xoxo

    ReplyDelete